Tuesday, May 17, 2005

I spit on your spats

I think I have previously mentioned my extreme hatred for spats. Since no one seemed to be wearing the stupid things, I had figured that it was simply a misguided design that never quite took off. So imagine my bewilderment and horror when I come across these:



And these:


And, oh sweet Jesus, these:


That's right, Le Train Bleu offers not one, but three kinds of spats for all of us who have "secretly harbored spats fantasies." Or perhaps for those who feel like simple leg warmers are not quite offensive enough.

Look, if you're willing to pay $149 for a pair of leather knee-high spats, you might want to look into some new-fangled contraptions called "boots".

Photos courtesy of letrainbleu.com

5 Comments:

  • At 5:44 PM, Blogger Bag chick said…

    I blame Gwen Stefani. I have no basis for this blame laying, but I believe she's the evil mastermind behind stupid leg fashion.

     
  • At 6:12 AM, Blogger Dimestore Lipstick said…

    Great. Now I want to take my eyes out with a fork.

     
  • At 7:22 AM, Blogger The Scarlett said…

    Spats with sandals ... what is next? Spats with flip-flops? Barefoot and spatted?

     
  • At 5:01 PM, Blogger Melissa Cornelius-Freyre said…

    AAH! LEGWARMERS ARE BACK! My childhood miseries from dance class are slowly creeping back into my mind.

     
  • At 7:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anyone who wants to make a claim to being fashionable should know that if one thinks one needs boot-length spats, what one is in fact seeking are gaiters or half-chaps - a convenient way to have both field boots and paddock boots for a lot less cash. That said, typically the events that would require full calf coverage involve mud and muck or at the very least a dusty parade ground and, no infrequently, a job that requires riding in formation at the pleasure of royalty or horse training. It does not seem that the women pictured with these mutant spats are engaged in any such activity.

    http://www.ariat.com/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home