Wednesday, April 13, 2005

I'm back!

Wow, New York is just amazing. I didn't have much time to look around since I spent most of my time attending a wedding and wedding-related activities, but I did make sure to hit the Upper East Side, especially Madison and Fifth Avenues.

My God. The people there are freaking loaded. I haven't seen this kind of wealth concentrated in one area anywhere on the west coast, including Rodeo Drive. While I was having lunch Monday afternoon on Madison Avenue, I counted no less than 35 Birkins (including many of the crocodile and ostrich varieties), 10 Kellys, and I don't even know how many Balenciaga motorcycle bags. I enthusiastically pointed these out to my rather disinterested husband, who joked that this was like my version of whale watching.

Of course I wandered through the accessories sections of Barneys and Bergdof Goodman, and I had to fight the insane desire to grab up everything in sight and make a mad dash for the door. Such beautiful things. The museum-like displays inspired a strange feeling of reverence. I was almost afraid of touching anything, as I didn't want to befoul the gorgeous creations with my bourgeoise hands. Still, the experience was thrilling and fun.

Now I'm back in comfy, relaxed LA, and it's good to be home. Let the purse snarking recommence!

5 Comments:

  • At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh - they were all probably fakes! Saw a great fake Birkins for sale on the corner by St. Pat's.

     
  • At 3:57 PM, Blogger CrankyBiscuit said…

    On Madison Avenue, right in front of the Hermes boutique? I did see some obvious fakes, and a few fake LVs which I can spot from a mile away, but the majority of these looked legitimate. The real-to-fake ratio here was WAY higher there than I see in LA, where 9 out of 10 bags are fake.

     
  • At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I see a lot of great shoes at school, mostly boots. Then I see some Louis Vitton bags and some Coach! And there I am with my regular messenger bag. (It's school! I can't take a wee purse!) (I'm eyeing Coaches on eBay)

    And then in winter, I had my stupid Uggs. Felt icky. I can't wear nice boots in the icky weather. Now, it's the nice shoes. Yay. But I still envy all those heels. I don't wear heels to school, aside from boots! Wow, some fashionable girls, wearing anything.

    /endblabber. Hi, yeah. That's me. Bye.

     
  • At 12:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Oh how I've missed New York! The fashion, the people, the food...EVERYTHING! Sigh

     
  • At 3:55 PM, Blogger Bag chick said…

    You hit 2 of my favorite places! Though I like Bergdorf better for bags...they're so much more accessible, and I love that they're not grouped boringly by designer.
    Did you get into Bendels? They have a tiny, but awesomely selected department.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home