Friday, February 18, 2005

Someone cares about my opinion!

I was very, very excited to have The Princess send me my very first reader request!

Dear Crankybiscuit,

I love your blog and I think this is a cute purse. However, I have an insatiable lust for purses with longs straps that I can sling over my shoulder. I am also a "voluptuous" woman and cannot carry teeny tiny bags, I overpower them. Can you help me?


Well, Princess, I feel your pain in this difficult search, as I too have had trouble finding a good-sized purse with a long enough drop. It is unfortunately the predominant style now to wear a hand-carried bag or a tiny pochette that usually resides right in one’s armpit, effectively squishing one’s arm flesh out in an unflattering manner.

This is what I've come up with so far:


The first purse that came to mind is the Legacy Duffle from Coach. It’s a slim bag, but it is a generous 10 5/8" long x 11" high, and best of all, it has an adjustable strap so you can wear it as a shoulder bag or across your body for extra security. Also available in turquoise, black, and white.


I'm completely captivated by this gorgeous calfskin tote by Marc Jacobs. At 10 1/2" high x 16" wide x 5" deep, it is a sizable bag that is capable of accommodating a hefty hardcover book or two, as well as all your work and weekend essentials. I like how he eschewed his usual "two pockets with buckles on the front" style by putting one on each side instead. Well, he's trying, at least.


There's also this delish leather satchel from Dolce & Gabbana that the ever-chic Bag Chick featured back in January. It's quite a bit larger than it appears in the photo, so you can cram a surprising amount of stuff in there.


Photos courtesy of neimanmarcus.com
Finally, two incarnations of the Sam Bag from Kate Spade, who somehow is able to keep the same simple shape fun and fresh after all this time. I've had the basic black microfiber Sam Bag for years now, and it is quite the workhorse. They're very comfy to carry and I recommend them highly.

Well, that's it for now, I hope you find one of them useful. Thanks for writing, Princess!

Photos courtesy of coach.com and neimanmarcus.com

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home